Sunday, November 2, 2008

It Rests In Your Hands

I am uneasy this election season because it matters more than ever in my lifetime, and because it rests in the hands of young and first time voters. It rests in the hands of the generation that can't be polled. The generation that has grown up always owning a cell phone. And I hope you know that it's your future we're talking about if you are of that generation. We are at a tipping point. Maybe we have passed it, I'm not sure. I grew up knowing that the first time I voted I was really an adult. It was a right of passage. It was a responsibility. I took it seriously. But I grew up in a family that talked about politics. It was a topic of conversation at the dinner table. So was religion, and the right to question, the obligation to be skeptical, and need to learn. I learned these lessons and when I encountered compromise on questions of political principle I was indignant. I was a fierce critic of my father's having taken a loyalty oath in order to keep his teaching job. This oath grew out of the McCarthy era and in order to teach one had to vow on a bible that one had never been a member of the communist party so help you God. There are two things wrong with that. It stomps on two constitutionally guaranteed rights. This is also what is so horribly wrong with the hysteria concerning gay marriage. In the land of liberty we want to say that certain of our citizens are not guaranteed the same rights as every other citizen? This is UNCONSTITUTIONAL! Those of you under thirty are probably the least racist and homophobic demographic in our culture. We're counting on you. Vote. It's important.

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Yes, we are counting on the young voters, but the ones in the middle and the old ones (us) as well, all over this country, to vote, to help make a difference -- not just a difference, it's so much more than that. I'm with you all the way!

susan said...

Since this is Oregon where voting by mail is standard, we mailed ours last week. I've been more impressed by Obama than I expected to be and I, like you, have my fingers crossed.

I hope the apple pie helped.

Utah Savage said...

Tomorrow's going to be worse than today, and just when I was actually thinking about baking that pie, a young friend dropped by with homemade soup and then I wasn't needing comforting. She promises to vote. I keep asking her why are you waiting. She says, it's her day off Tuesday.

Radar1961 said...

Generation Y certainly has the ability and opportunity to be open-minded. They are fortunate in which they are born in a time of accessible knowledge and free-thinking. It’s a sign of the times. It's a sign of progression and it is my hope we continue to move forward that path.

The nomination of a biracial candidate is an additional sign of progression. As a member of the Gen Y demographic, I am proud to witness a momentous event in this country's history.

Utah Savage said...

Radar1961, I'm so glad you answered my plea to hear from someone your age. Now I feel better and can get on with staring at the TV Screen until tomorrow night. Hopefully it won't be too close to call.

Anonymous said...

i am just beat BUT i'm not done yet.

this is the most important election in my lifetime. important for us and for the rest of the world.

and, for my little 4 year old granddaughter most of all, to me.

Ingrid said...

well put Utah..
Ingrid

Unknown said...

Beautiful U.S..simply beautiful. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to keep hoping that they turn out in droves. I'll be watching the news coverage obsessively.

You're not surprised, are you?

Utah Savage said...

I'll be watching with you. She we all twitter?

Unknown said...

I got a twitter acct and have no clue as to how to use it.

Utah Savage said...

Dusty darling let's work on that. Anyone as computer savvy as you should be twittering with the best of them.

Anonymous said...

I will try to concentrate on reading the rules and stuff U.S.

Its been an interesting day here at the homestead. We finally got rid of the thugs and criminals next door and now I get to patrol the area with my baseball bat and small handgun.

Its a bad neighborhood. ;)

Dave Dubya said...

My supplies are in for the election night vigil.

Chocolate for the nerves. Salami, cheese and crackers to balance the chocolate. Frozen pizza for late night needs. Finally, two bottles of wine. The first is to celebrate with. The second is to induce a stupor if the Reich steals another election.

Unknown said...

I have two bottles of wine myself...and some very good smoke.

Utah Savage said...

I'm not allowed to drink, but food and smoke and a well stocked bar for anyone brave enough to watch with me.