Monday, May 2, 2011

Borrowed for Tom

Edna St. Vincent Millay


“Well, I have lost you; and I lost you fairly;
In my own way, and with my full consent.
Say what you will, kings in a tumbrel rarely
Went to their deaths more proud than this one went.
Some nights of apprehension and hot weeping
I will confess; but that’s permitted me;
Day dried my eyes; I was not one for keeping
Rubbed in a cage a wing that would be free.
If I had loved you less or played you slyly
I might have held you for a summer more,
But at the cost of words I value highly,
And no such summer as the one before.
Should I outlive this anguish-and men do-
I shall have only good to say of you.”

2 comments:

Zee said...

yeah, I like that. First thought it was your own, but it does not matter

Utah Savage said...

No, would that I wrote as well as Edna. But I did insult a man I loved and lost him long ago over insults and then finally said in my blog he'd come to resemble Rush. It isn't even remotely true, but you know what they say about a woman scorned.