Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Poem In My Pocket

Picked up at Mauigirl's Meanderings this evening. It took my breath away. The post that introduces this poem is also breathtaking.

Assault

I had forgotten how the frogs must sound
After a year of silence, else I think
I should not so have ventured forth alone
At dusk upon this unfrequented road.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?
Oh, savage Beauty, suffer me to pass,
That am a timid woman, on her way
From one house to another!

-Edna St. Vincent Millay

4 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Thanks Utah, for the link and compliment.

I've always loved Edna St. Vincent Millay - have all her poems. I discovered her in my distant youth when her sad love sonnets resonated so well with my early 20's angst. But now that I'm older I really love her other poems even more, especially the ones about nature.

Utah Savage said...

Always happy to link to the best.

yellowdoggranny said...

beautiful.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

oh, terrific! thanks,